History of Stella Maris Inn
|In 1853, Edward Mayer, a successful New York
businessman, commissioned George Burroughs to build Blue Rocks for
Mayer's wife, Agatha Minturn. Burroughs transported the free
stone for the mansion from Portland, Conneticut, and furnished
the inside with black walnut.
Forty years later, Lloyd Mayer, the second son of
Edward and Agatha, sold the mansion to Frederick Cunningham to be
used as a summer home. The mansion was then rented as a summer
residence until the 1920's when the Sisters of Cluny took
ownership of Blue Rocks and used the mansion as a convent.
It was at this point in history that the building
received its current name. The nuns renamed Blue Rocks "Stella Maris", which means "Star of the Sea". The Maddens purchased Stella Maris Inn in 1989 and completely renovated the mansion. Stella Maris Inn opened as a bed and breakfast in 1990 and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places